Land Mark Development
Land mark Development in Hydrocarbon Sector of the State
* Rajasthan has significant resource potential of hydrocarbons under 4 Petroliferous Basins. Due to hydrocarbon prospectively, 3 Petroliferous Basins of Rajasthan has been upgraded into Category-I i.e. equivalent to Bombay
High, Assam and Gujarat.
* These 4 basins falls in the 14 Districts of the State namely Barmer, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Ganganagar, Hanumangarh, Jalore, Jodhpur, Kota, Jhalawar, Baran, Bundi and Chittorgarh spreaded over an area of 1,50,000 Sq.
* Rajasthan has immense investment opportunities in Upstream & Downstream hydrocarbon sector. Pursuant to liberalization Policy in Petroleum Sector, E&P activities in the state have been increased manifold. Maximum on
land exploration has been undertaken in the State covering 60,000 sq. km under 21 Blocks for Oil, Gas & CBM. Presently exploration is underway in 12 blocks after relinquishment of 9 blocks.
* Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India has awarded one new block of Rajasthan in Jaisalmer Basin under NELP-IX round of bidding. PEL of which is under consideration with State Government.
* 4 more blocks of Rajasthan i.e 2 blocks from Jaisalmer basins and 2 blocks from Barmer - Sanchor basins have been included in proposed NELP- X round of bidding.
* In Rajasthan, a total of 880 wells were drilled till November’ 2016, out of which 764 wells were drilled by Cairn Energy in District Barmer and 116 wells by Focus Energy in District Jaisalmer. Besides, about 80wells
spuded by ONGC and OIL.
Discovery Fields of Crude oil, Heavy oil and Natural gas
* The State Government has sanctioned 11 Petroleum Mining Leases (covering an area of 4000 sq.km) for exploitation of Crude oil, Heavy oil and Natural gas Crude oil
* 38 oil fields discovered in Barmer-Sanchore Basin namely Mangla, Bhagyam, Shakti Ashwariya Guda, Saraswati, Raageshwari, Kaameshwari, Vijaya, Vandana, GRF, NI, Bhagyam South-1, NH-2, N-R-4, NE, GS-V-1 & Tukaram.
* 4.1 billion barrels of Oil in-place (i.e. 500 million tonnes) have been proved alone in Barmer-Sanchore Basin, Mangla Oil discovery has been rated as one of the biggest on-land discovery of the country in last three decades.
* A total of 467.98 lakh metric tonnes (338.50 million barrels) of crude oil has been produced from Barmer-Sanchore Basin w.e.f 29.08.2009 to March, 2016.
* As per the latest estimates Cairn India, 6.5-7.2 billion barrels (i.e. 900-1000 million tonnes) of oil equivalent resources can be tapped from Unconventional and Tight Reservoir in Barmer-Sanchore Basin. The MoP&NG, GOI has granted permission to Cairn India
for exploration in lease-hold area for the same.
Oil India has entered into an agreement with Venezuelan Company PDVSA for the exploitation of proved in-place Heavy Oil Resource of 25.00 million tonnes and Bitumen Reserves of 53.00 million tonnes. Oil India Ltd in association with Venezuelan PDVSA Company
has undertaken trial production of Heavy Oil in Baghewala area and has produced about 64 metric tonnes of heavy oil in November, 2009. OIL has planned to drill 3 more pilot wells to establish producibility from Poonam discovery field and Baghewala Petroleum
Intensive exploration undertaken by ONGC, Oil India and Focus Energy in Jaisalmer Basin have resulted into discovery of 30 billion cubic meter of Natural gas from their gas fields namely Manhera Tibba, Tannot, Dandewala, Chinnewala Tibba area and SGL Field
(Shahgarh) respectively. Presently 2.0 MMSCMD Natural Gas is being produced Oil India, ONGC & Focus Energy to supply 110+160 MW units of Ramgarh Power Plant.
Petroleum Production & Anticipated Revenue
||Production rate per day
||Royalty (Crude Oil-20% & Natural Gas-10%) Dead Rent, PEL fee, etc.
||Total (in crores)
|Crude Oil(in lac barrels)
||Natural Gas(in lac cubic meter)
||Rs. 1858.28 croces
||1.25 - 1.50
||Rs. 3908.9 croces
||1.75 - 1.90
||1.75 - 2.00
||1.65 - 1.70
||1.65 - 1.70 lac
||1495.85 crores (upto Nov 2016)
Exploration Companies and other activities
* Besides National Oil & Gas Companies viz. ONGC, Oil India Ltd and GAIL the reputed Multinational and private Companies like Cairn (Scotland). 2 Birk Beck (Mauritius), Geoglobal & Geopetrol (Barbados); Reliance Infrastructure Ltd(RIL), HOEC, Focus Energy are
actively engaged in Oil, Gas & CBM exploration in Rajasthan.
* Under the grant-in-aid provided by OIDB were undertaken in Barmer Sanchore Basin and Barmer Nagaur Basin activities of CBM R&D Project in Bikaner. The MECL has completed the entrusted task of drilling of 2 Boreholes & geophysical logging.
* PNGRB has issued notice to develop city Gas distribution project in 2 smart cities of Rajasthan viz. Jaipur and Udaipur.
* An MOU was entered between GAIL and Government of Rajasthan for development of underground Coal/Lignite Gasification in Rajasthan in September, 2015 for utilizing the reserves of lignite occurring at 200-500 mt depths in Barmer-Sanchore Basin.
* 9 MoUs has been entered for Resurgent Rajasthan Summit, 2015, in Petroleum Sector for an investment of Rs. 30,530 Cr. In E&P activities and infrastructure development for Petro Product and City Gas distribution.
* A Memorandum of Co-operation between GAIL & Uzbek coal has been signed. A delegation of Uzbek –Coal experts along with officials of GAIL & Directorate of Petroleum visited the Goliya Block of Barmer-Sanchore Basin between 21st to 23 rd Sept 2011 to undertake
preliminary assessment for generation of Syn Gas from deep seated lignite deposits. Additional data is required to be generated for technology tie-up with expert companies.